Monday 17 February 2014

Why I Love to Read, part 1

Why I Love to Read- Monday special
Reason Number One:
I love meeting interesting characters!  They delight me while reading, they keep me company, they stay with me over time, they remind me of the joy of the novel they populate, they never change, they never disappoint, they never move away or die!
Here are some of my favourites:
Bathsheba Everdene

Gabriel Oak

Bathsheba Everdene- saucy, flighty, proud beauty.  Don't want her for my friend- just want to read about her antics.
 Thomas Hardy, Far from the Madding Crowd
Gabriel Oak -steady, reliable, ooh-la-la!
“And at home by the fire, whenever you look up there I shall be— and whenever I look up, there will be you.
-Gabriel Oak” 


Moll flanders


                                 Moll Flanders
"The Fortunes and Misfortunes of the Famous Moll Flanders, &c. Who was Born in Newgate, and during a Life of continu'd Variety for Threescore Years, besides her Childhood, was Twelve Year a Whore, five times a Wife (whereof once to her own Brother), Twelve Year a Thief, Eight Year a Transported Felon in Virginia, at last grew Rich, liv'd Honest, and died a Penitent. Written from her own Memorandums." (Moll Flanders by Daniel Defoe)
What could be more entertaining? 

                      Hagar Shipley
"Cantankerous, cranky and often befuddled at 90, Hagar isn't ready to give up her independence and go into an old-age home. But she is trapped in a body that is betraying her bit by bit and a mind that overwhelms her with passionate, painful memories."
Her feisty resilience makes her one of the most remarkable and appealing characters in Canadian literature.

"Stone Angel" by Margaret Lawrence
Don't want to be related to her, or even meet her, just like to read about her.
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________


Now 3 women that I would like for friends.  Fascinating stories of struggles and resilience.




                                                                         


In 'The Poinsonwood Bible", Orleanna Price attempted to support her husband as well as teach and protect her children.  She wasn't able to do both and lived with regret.
Heart-breaking and poignant.  I would love to chat with Orleanna.

Morgan Hazzard (in "The Wife Tree") was 75 when her husband died and she was left to find her way in a world that had been controlled by her husband.  With limited vision, she forged ahead to begin a new life.  Love her!

Sal Thornhill (in "The Secret River") went to Australia with her convict husband.  She also tried to support her husband as well as raise children in an unsettled country.  When her husband got caught up in a combative relationship with the Aboriginies, she stood firm.  I loved her kind, loving, but determined manner.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

The father that I wish everyone had:
Atticus Finch ("To Kill a Mockinbird").










I started with a male character and will finish with one. Atticus Finch- the epitome of manhood!  A kind and loving father and a strong advocate for the rights of all.  I realize that these pictures show Gregory Peck but he stands for the lawyer who stood up for a black man because he thought it was the morally right thing to do.  He showed tremendous courage.
He is my literary hero!  I wish there were more like him!

These are a few of the characters that entertain and delight me.

  They sit on my bookshelf waiting for me to visit them whenever I desire.

No comments:

Post a Comment