Sunday 17 August 2014

from the grandchildren

from Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn is my oldest grandchild.  She loves to scuba dive.
I sometimes recommend books to her, so when she recommends a book to me, I read it!
She recommended "Touch and Go" by Lisa Gardner.
Lisa Gardner
  I was unfamiliar with this author, perhaps because she writes crime thrillers!  In fact, she writes a lot!  She has 22 million books in print.
  The title fascinated me.  It is used often - from the Ninja Turtles to Broadway musicals.  There are many songs and films with that title.  It's also used in aviation and on highway toll booths.
  What does it mean here? 
"This is the truth: Love, safety, family . . . it’s all touch and go.'' 
This book is about a family that appears to have a perfect life, but suddenly, the family is missing.   Things are not as they appear.  But the introductory sentence foreshadows that: "Pain has a flavour". 

Lisa Gardner has an interesting web site where she connects with her readers:
Readers are invited to get in on the fun by entering the annual “Kill a Friend, Maim a Buddy” Sweepstakes at LisaGardner.com, where they can nominate the person of their choice to die in Lisa’s latest novel. Every year, one Lucky Stiff is selected for Literary Immortality. It’s cheaper than therapy, and you get a great book besides.
  So this book was not what I usually read, but I am delighted to read books recommended by the grandchildren.  And even happier  that they are reading!  And discussing their books with me!
************************************************
from Matthew
Matthew is my youngest grandchild.  He loves gymnastics.
He has always been a great reader.  He often reads advanced books.  He read the Harry Potter series when he was very young.  So I was pleased when he recommended "When You Reach Me" by Rebecca Stead.  It is a book more suited to his age.
   This novel has a female protagonist who is in grade six and she is getting mysterious notes.  It is a mystery involving time travel.  
   The book won the Newbery medal in 2010, for 'the most distinguished contribution to American literature for children'.
   The author had been captivated with books by Madeleine L'Engle when she was young.  I think I will read "A Wrinkle in time" next.  I remember that L'Engle won the Newberry Medal for that book in 1963, when I was raising my children. 




***************************************************
Every year, we have a family camping experience.  Most often the grandchildren are playing table games, soccer, or swimming.  This year the weather wasn't conducive to water activities and some of the grandchildren were reading.
Erika  (heading for Oakland University) was reading "The Joy of Mathematics" by Theoni Pappa.   David (finished first year at Guelph University) was reading "Billions and Billions: thoughts on Life and Death at the Brink of the Millenium" by Carl Sagan.  He likes philosophy.
And Andrew arrived reading "Lord of the Rings".

No comments:

Post a Comment