Monday 5 January 2015

Another list

How to decide what to read?
I make my choices either from my book clubs or other recommendations.  Those recommendations can come from individuals- like my friend Penny.  She recommends: "The Goldfinch", "Belle Cora", "The Signature of All Things" and "The Notorious Woman".
I also get lots of ideas from a periodical called "Bookwomen".
My friend Terri and I share a subscription and we find many great recommendations in Glenda Martin's column.  We have travelled with Bookwomen and Glenda is a fabulous discussion leader.  She knows her books!
I found this list of books in the most recent edition.
Top 20 most influential books by women selected by readers in England.
1. To Kill a Mockingbird (Harper Lee)
2. The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood)
3. Jane Eyre (Charlotte Bronte)
4. Harry Potter (J.K.Rowling)
5. Wuthering Heights (Emily Bronte)
6. Pride and Prejudice (Jane Austen)
7. Rebecca (Daphne du Maurier)
8. Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)
9. The Secret History (Donna Tartt)
10. I Capture the Castle (Dodie Smith)
11. The Bell Jar (Sylvia Plath)
12. Beloved (Toni Morrison)
13. Gone with the Wind (Margaret Mitchell)
14. We Need to Talk about Kevin (Lionel Shriver)
15. The Time Traveler's Wife (Audrey Niffenegger)
16. Middlemarch (George Eliot)
17. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings (Maya Angelou)
18. The Golden Notebook (Doris Lessing)
19. The Color Purple (Alice Walker)
20. The Women's Room (Marilyn French)

Lots of wonderful reading in this list!  I have read half of them. 



No comments:

Post a Comment