Friday 16 January 2015

One More List

At this time of year, I am anxious to find out what will be happening on Canada Reads.
Here is the long list for this year:

1. Arrival City: The Final Migration and Our Next World (Doug Saunders)
2. Ru (Kim Thuy)
3. What We All Long For (Dionne Brand)
4. The Inconvenient Indian: A Curious Account of Native People in North America (Thomas King)
5. This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate (Naomi Klein)
6. The Door is Open: A Memoir of a Soup Kitchen Volunteer (Bart Campbell)
7. Celia's Song (Lee Maracle)
8. Intolerable: A Memoir of Extremes (Kamal Al-Solaylee)
9. Bone and Bread (Saleema Nawaz)
10. When Everything Feels Like the Movies (Raziel Reid)
11. You Set Me on Fire (Mariko Tamaki)
12. For Today I Am A Boy (Kim Fu)
13. All My Puny Sorrows (Miriam Toews)
14. And the Birds Rained Down (Jocelyne Saucier)
15. Monkey Beach (Eden Robinson)

Wow!  I have only read one of these books, and I have heard of only three others.  Several are translations.
The theme this year: What is the one book to break barriers? 
"Books that can change perspectives, challenge stereotypes and illuminate issues"
Host: Wab Kinew
The panel and final five books will be revealed on January 20.
Fortunately, I have a group of friends that gather in a coffee shop to discuss each Canada Reads choice in depth.  So, I am very invested in the final decision.  It looks like there will be great discussions!  I am ready to start reading!







No comments:

Post a Comment