Wednesday 24 June 2015

Amnesty International Book Club

   I attended the first meeting of the Amnesty International Book club.  I was not sure what to expect, but I was familiar with the first book selection. "Indian Horse" may be the best book that I have ever read.  It is not the book that I enjoyed the most, because there is great pain in the novel, but the writing is superb!
What is Amnesty International?
Amnesty International is a global movement of more than 7 million people in over 150 countries and territories who campaign to end abuses of human rights.
"We campaign for a world where human rights are enjoyed by all".
Amnesty International choses the books and provides a discussion guide.  Then there is a suggested action that targets the type of situation that the book addresses.

Author Nino Ricci introduces the Amnesty International Book Club  here.   Check the video.


*************************************************************************************************************************
How did I feel about the book club?
I am delighted to see a variety of book clubs.
This book club is led by an employee of the library and she is an excellent leader!
I find the subjects of these books to be very emotional and I won't be able to join every meeting. For instance, the next meeting is about 'torture'.  I will skip that book and that meeting.  But I have a list of the books they are planning to read and I will join them when I feel it will not be overwhelmingly emotional.
Thank you "Ideas Unlimited" for the variety of book clubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment