Monday 28 September 2015

Reading on the Road

   When we are driving in the country, I often read to John.  Is this against the law?  Distracting the driver?   Hope not, because we both enjoy it and it makes the time go quickly when you are on a long trip.
   Lately, I have been reading "Hearts Come Home", a collection of short stories by Pearl S. Buck.  Wow!  Is she a good storyteller!  She writes the type of story that I love- a simple, linear story that touches your heart.  Beautiful writing!
I must admit that this is a rather salacious cover.  It really doesn't  reflect the stories that are in the book.  They are more about relationship and dilemma.

  Pearl's best-known book is "The Good Earth".  It won the Pulitzer Prize and is one of my all-time favourites. 
  I read this book while we were on the road in 2004- driving through Missouri, Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas. It was rainy and dull and it really made the drive more enjoyable. 
  Pearl S.Buck lived from 1892 -1973.  She was the daughter of missionaries and, although she was born in the US., her parents took her to China when she was 5 months old.  She returned to the U.S. in 1910 to study philosophy, but returned to China when her mother became sick.
  She was universally respected for her stand on human rights.  I have read some information about her life on the internet, but it has made me interested in reading her biography.
What a great author!

No comments:

Post a Comment