Wednesday 23 March 2016

Canada Reads- book four

"The Hero's Walk" by Anita Rau Badami    
I was hooked on the first page!  What amazing writing!  What beautiful description! 
I was so impressed that I kept stopping to write quotes- how delicious!
For some readers, the description may be too detailed, but I have not been to India and I wanted to know every detail including the cow tied to the porch next door.
Right in the first chapter, I got well acquainted with all of the characters and was transported by the description of the setting. Then I was ready to follow the plot.

I cried at the end and realized that this book has great significance!
I agree with a review that I read on amazon :"This book is heart-breaking, gut-wrenching, a page-turner filled with pathos.  I loved it madly!"
I know that this is the best book that I have read in a long time and I am considering that it may tie with my all-time favourite, "Poisonwood Bible".  It is very different but I see a connection.  In fact, it may surpass "Poisonwood Bible" because of the ending. "Poisonwood Bible" showed a man's arrogance and the effect on everyone he met, but this book revealed a man's change of heart that is profound and moved me to tears.



I am very interested in hearing from this man.  
He was born in Brampton and graduated in business from York University.  
He studied filmmaking and theatre in New York. 
 He has written and starred in three movies.  
He screens his movies for high school students, and recent immigrants studying English. 
 He is only 30!

No comments:

Post a Comment