Friday 4 March 2016

March reading


It's March and I'm delighted!  The pile of books waiting for me looks so inviting!
1.) "The Illegal" by Lawrence Hill is the last of the Canada Reads for me to read and discuss with friends before the actual 'battle of the books' begins.  I trust this author who delighted me with "The Book of Negros".
2.)"A Man Called Ove" by Fredrik Backman.  Two of my friends have already blogged about it, I had better get busy.  This author fascinates me because he is a 34-year-old Swede who studied comparative religion but dropped out to be a truck driver.
In 2012, he had two books debut on the same day- this book and a non-fiction book called "Things My Son Needs to Know About the World".  The next year another novel was released called "My Grandmother Sent Me to Tell You She's Sorry".  
3.) "The Goldfinch" by Donna Tartt is almost 800 pages of very small print.  I need a deserted island to get this book finished.  But two very smart friends have strongly recommended it. It won a Pulitzer Prize in 2014.  I'm sure it will be a literary delight, but I have a feeling that I will leave this one for last.
4.) "Three Cups of Tea" by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin is our next book club selection and I am committed to lead the discussion this month. I have been researching all the press around this story and can't wait to get started on this controversial novel.
5.) "Rebecca" by Daphne du Maurier is another book club selection for a different book club. Du Maurier lived in Cornwall and when I was in England, we stopped at "The Jamaica Inn" - the title of one of her books.  I bought some of her books there, but only read one at the time.  I wasn't overly impressed, but this is supposed to be her best.  She wrote 37 books, many of which were made into movies or T.V. series. One of her short stories was made into the movie "The Birds" - yes, by Alfred Hitchcock.
*********************************************************************************************************************
My request:
I would love to hear from anyone reading my blog. 
Just click on these red words at the bottom of my entry: No Comment 
If I am lucky, it may say 1 comment or 2 comments.  
Just click on those red words and a box will pop up where you can write a few words and then click on publish.
Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment