Friday 24 November 2017

The Scotiabank Giller Prize Ceremonies, 2017

The Scotiabank Giller Prize promises "the best in Canadian literature".  The awards ceremony was televised this week.


The jury read 112 books, leading to a longlist of 12 and a short list of 5:
"Transit" by Rachel Cusk
"I Am A Truck" by Michelle Winters
"Son of A Trickster" by Eden Robinson
"Minds of Winter" by Ed O'Loughlin
"Bellevue Square" by Michael Redhill



   The winner was "Bellevue Square" and Lawrence Hill introduced it by saying, "It is a funny, twisted book. It will mess with your mind".

The novel is about a book store owner who has a doppelganger.
Quote:
"My doppelganger problems began one afternoon in early April".



When interviewed, Michael Redhill said:
 "It doesn't satisfy me as an artist to go someplace and tie everything up.  I want to leave the reader a little wrong-footed because it creates the opportunity to think about what you've been through as a reader.  I'd like to linger a little more".

I have been contemplating that word "wrong-footed".  That may 'satisfy' the author, but  I wonder if it would 'satisfy' me as a reader. I love a 'satisfying' ending and I'm not sure that I want it to be left 'wrong-footed'.

I love a celebration of books, but didn't find anything this year that interested me.  I have read 19 of the 25 previous winners.
                                                                                                                             

No comments:

Post a Comment