Monday 16 April 2018

"Thursdays in the Park" by Hilary Boyd


   I cannot pass by bookshelves- even in the drugstore!  I surely believe that books belong in the book store or the library, BUT, I still have a quick look at the books for sale in the drugstore when I pass by.

  This cover caught my eye. So I bought it.   
  Jeanie is turning 60 and her husband constantly calls her 'old' and wants her to sell her business ( a health food store) and move to the country.  In spite of her objections, her husband buys a house in the country anyway.
  I guess the rest is predictable.  Jeanie takes her granddaughter to the park every Thursday and who does she meet?  A grandfather with his grandson.  This man is friendly and kind and listens to her.  Well, you know the rest.
  Guess that is the kind of book that would be in a drugstore- or an airport.  A quick read with very little depth or originality.
  One quote that was interesting about turning 60:
"Sixty is heaven", she had told Jeanie as they sat having tea.  "The world is done with you, you become to all intents and purposes invisible, particularly if you are a woman.  There's childhood, then adult conformity---work, family, responsibility---then just when everyone assumes it's all over and you're on the scrap heap of old age, freedom! You can finally be who you are, not what society wants you to be, not who you think you ought to be".
  When I finish reading a book, I check the internet to see what other readers think.  One person called it 'gran-lit'.  Probably that is a made-up category, but it is about a grandmother.
  Another reader compared the book to 'literary waterboarding'.  Well,  maybe not that bad- most people gave it 3*'s out of 5*'s.

No comments:

Post a Comment